Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

We are doing the last few loads of laundry, getting things together for our trip to the gulf shore. My sister lives in Orange Beach. My brother, who lives in San Diego, flew in with his family last weekend. My parents went down ?last weekend - I can't keep up with them half the time? taking their truck and 5th wheel. Thanksgiving on the beach! This will be the first time the three siblings (me, my brother and sister), our families and our parents have been under one roof in 4 - 5 - 6 years? I am really excited about it. And I am really glad it isn't my house.

Actually my family (wife, kids - not brother, sister) have made a tradition of going to the beach over Thanksgiving. We usually leave from wherever we are having Thanksgiving dinner at and head down Thursday evening. It takes about 5 hours to get there, so we get 2 and half days to wander around. It is lovely. No people, no crowded roads, no 100 degree heat, and even though half of the restaurants are closed there are enough open to get some good food. It is quiet and peaceful - no sounds except the surf all day and all night (and the hotels rooms are at off-off-season rates). I have become convinced that anyone who goes to the beach during the summer is a loony. Don't get me wrong, I know from summer at the beach. We lived on a Mediterranean island for two years and the summer/tourist season and I are well acquainted. I don't miss it. Well, okay - maybe just a little. I used to be a sun-worshipper in my youth. I have matured.

So, Lucky is off to the kennel, the cats have clean (and extra) litter boxes and extra food/water (with a check-in from neighbors) and we are almost packed. My son has to work until just after midnight, so we are off tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM (just like any other work day!)

I wish anyone who reads this, and everyone else who doesn't, a very Happy Thanksgiving.

4 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Girlplustwo said...

thank you for your thoughts over my way, and especially so that i can find my way to yours.

nothing seems more lovely than the beach on thanksgiving.

happiest wishes to you.

urban-urchin said...

Hope you had a wonderful time with your family. Happy Thanksgiving!

meno said...

We love going to the Beach for winter holidays for all the reasons that you have stated. Have a great time, take pictures.

Bob said...

jen - I can vividly remember my 6 month old son not being able to breath, so your son's problem really struck a note with me.

Thanksgiving weekend at the beach was lovely, it was almost worth the sunburn.

urban-urchin: Thank you, we had a great time, I hope the same was for you too.

Meno: There is something special about being on the beach at this time of year. I don't know how to describe it, but I do know it is special and has become a tradition for us.