Thursday, October 30, 2008

Here we go again

Well - I'm in Bahrain again. I left home last weekend. Last time I flew direct from Atlanta to Dubai - over 14 hours in the air. argh. (I will have that to look forward to on the way home. argh) This time, however, I flew to Amsterdam, had an 8 hour layover and then flew here. Since I had such a long layover, I was determined to see something. As I was walking between terminals I ran across a tour booth advertising 2 and 3 hour tours. Serendipity struck, I whipped out my credit card and off we went. There were 7 of us in a mini-bus. The tour started at a wooden shoe factory, then out to the country where we saw various windmills and sheep and assorted waterlogged countryside. We drove into Amsterdam and around, then finished up with an hour's cruise through the canals. Despite the overcast, chilly (since I was heading to a hot climate I didn't bring a coat with me, I was in short-sleeves) and wet morning I had a good time and turned what was going to be a long and boring layover into a (seemingly) short and enjoyable one.

(I would've posted pictures, but even though blogger acted as if they uploaded - they didn't. So, here's a link to the set.)

17 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Glamourpuss said...

I love Amsterdam and it tickles me that they took you to see windmills and clogs - shame they forgot the cheese factory :-)

Puss

Anonymous said...

Stay safe and come home soon. :)

Anonymous said...

How exciting. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I just watched "In Bruges" and am reading a book set in Venice, so canals are on my mind.

I loved the second windmill shot and the one of all the bridges over the canal.

How much do those wooden shoes cost?

meno said...

What a great way to pass the time. I wonder how comfortable wooden shoes would be.

I liked the houseboats too, and SHEEP!

Gwen said...

Bahrain! Now that I'd like to see pictures of.

Now I'm off to watch In Bruges myself.

Safe travels! Or, as my much loved Anne Lamott would say, traveling mercies!

MitMoi said...

Thank you for the pictures. It brought back so many wonderful memories of last March.

Safe travels - and quick networking!

Bob said...

puss - but they didn't forget the red-light district....

mir - thanks, hon.

de - I was afraid to ask, I didn't have room in my luggage for a set. From the cost of the souvenirs in their shop I bet they were expensive, though.

meno - I don't know, but the guy who made the shoes was wearing a pair, and they looked well worn.

SHEEP, grommit.

gwen - I haven't had a chance to take pictures since I arrived, but here's a link to the pictures from my last trip: http://tinyurl.com/634wtj

mitmoi - I hope you had more time than I did to see Amsterdam!

Jocelyn said...

I don't feel like I'm ever going to be able to type the sentence "I'm in Bahrain again" truthfully.

Great Amsterdam pix. You make me salivate to travel.

Anonymous said...

Good call, getting out of the airport for an adventure. Awesome pix!

Bob said...

jocelyn - now you have a goal!

franki - thanks. I had practically zero time to frame most of the pics, I'm glad so many turned out.

Rachel said...

Blogger been kinda sucky lately. If this keeps up, Im gonna have to switch.

Im so jealous of your jetsetting ways. Amsterdam is on my list of places to see.

Hope things go well in Bahrain.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Amsterdam and its environs certainly have a lot of windmills. And tulips. It's an utterly charming city, and you were smart to get out of the airport and actually see a bit of the country.

Lovely, wonderful pictures that make me homesick for travel.

Bob said...

rachel - thanks, I am doing my best to make things go well. I'm sure you'll reach Amsterdam one day.

hearts - it is a very moist country.

ms chica said...

Even a brief tour is better than eight hours in an airport. Nice pictures.

Anonymous said...

that were a good limerick sir.

happiest new year to you and yours!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Have you moved your blog and nobody told me? It's way past October and I know you're not in Bahrain anymore. Please post something. You are missed!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.