Friday, December 14, 2007

Snort, slurk, snerk.

*** edited because I can't spell and ONE PERSON WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELESS pointed it out***

This week has been surreal, if only because it has been experienced through the haze of cold medicine. I am in the grip of the ague and there are doubts as to my longevity.

Thank GAWD for Nyquil.

I am now on vacation until January 2nd. It actually started yesterday but I don't know if it should count as I certainly don't feel like I'm on vacation. I have actually accomplished something, though - I've been getting car problems fixed. 1.5 down, .5 to go. (A part has been ordered, it will be installed Monday).

We are having TWO Christmas' this year. This Sunday we are going to my parent's. We are supplying turkey and dessert. (So I do kinda get my missed home-cooked Thanksgiving after all!) Next Saturday we are flying to Kansas City and are celebrating Christmas yet again - on the traditional date - with my wife's family. Everyone is looking forward to the trip. It will be a bit of a challenge, though, as it will be our first trip back since Laura's mother passed away last December. I was in Bahrain on the 4th, the 1st anniversary of her mother's passing and I couldn't be here with her. She won't have to face this one alone.

17 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Liv said...

I'm so glad that you're home. The state feels safer with you back in it.

JCK said...

Welcome, home! Congrats on keeping up with NaBloPoMo despite your crazy work hours and being overseas.

Sounds like you've got some good fixin's planned. Enjoy the family time.

slow panic said...

I've been lurking, but no more.

Glad you are on vacation and have some good times planned. We also observed the anniversary of a parent's passing on 12/4 -- my father-in-law passed away two years ago. The holidays are hard, but they get better. Eat lots of food, give lots of presents.

Bob said...

Liv - my alter-ego has been working overtime since I returned to catch up.

JCK - thanks! I'm really looking forward to two Christmas'.

Jodi - welcome. I'm glad you "delurked". I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. It does make the holidays more difficult. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I hope you're feeling better, and that both your Christmases are wonderful.

It will be especially difficult for Laura this year, but you will help her to get through it.

I don't think I've heard the word "ague" since maybe Jane Austen or Dickens, and I love that you used it.

Bob said...

hearts - day by day the ague is abating.

Lynnea said...

Hey I'll take two Christmases for 1000 Alec!

Lynnea said...

Sorry that's all I got.

Bob said...

maggie - it's ok, that'll do.

amusing said...

Now, I know you just got back from the dirt-blown landscape of Bahrain and all, but may I suggest that your folks might enjoy turkey and dessert more than what you are planning to bring them? I think a nice piece of pie or plum pudding is always more welcome than a plate o' dust.

Bob said...

amusing - I had to eat dirt for 6 weeks, they can try a little.

smartass.

amusing said...

tee hee....

amusing said...

Well, maybe if it's gourmet dirt. Godiva or something. In a gift box. With a bow.

Bob said...

only the best dirt for my family. Marks & Spencer.

Mother of Invention said...

Welcome home, Bob! You deserve the Merriest Christmas ever and I'm wishing you one!

Mother of Invention said...

What's for dessert?!

Bob said...

MoI - what a sweatheart you are! thank you. Dessert was turtle cheesecake. yum.