Monday, February 25, 2008

who remember's 78's?

Having been recently reminded of my neanderthal music collection, I am considering taking up a music's club periodic offer on discounted discs. The implication being that I need guidance in this area, in order to make sure I get an adequate sampling of current music, I am asking for suggestions. If you feel so inclined you could tell me why I should choose this over that - but it isn't necessary to justify your suggestions.

Please share some of your favorite music with me. Don't limit your suggestions to something you think I might like - I have an eclectic range of interests and am always open to new experiences.

Even if it took me 10 years to accumulate more CDs than I had records.

17 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

meno said...

I am pretty much a fossil in my musical taste, as my daughter always reminds me.

So maybe i'll just watch. :)

Liv said...

if you agree to not subject me to greens (i'll eat the cornbread) then we can meet up and you can have the new. all the new--music that is.

Bob said...

meno - well, maybe you should discuss with Em and report back.

Liv - I dunno if I can forgo collard greens, but for you I could make an exception. and music, that is.

JCK said...

La Liv is the one to ask about music. Now, me...I still have albums. No more 78s though. Just yesterday I was listening to an Abbey Road LP at a friend's house. They actually have a turn table. I have the albums, just no turntable. It will take me places...

furiousBall said...

doubtful the music club will have these artists, but if they do, you will have more acquired tastes than the snooties record store employee ever...

Sun Kil Moon
Built to Spill
Eef Barzelay or Clem Snide
anything by Wilco

Mir said...

Have you ever heard any Richard Shindell? Something tells me you'd like him.

MitMoi said...

Current releases:
Artist: John Pizzarelli, Disc Title: Dear Mr. Sinatra

Artist: Jessica Molaskey, Disc Title: Sitting in Limbo

Classic Jazz
Artist: Cal Tjader, Disc Title: Los Ritmos Calientes

Artist: John Coltrane: Disc Blue Train

Bob said...

JCK - I'm surprised you didn't reach for The Beach Boys - Pet Shop Sounds. It broke almost as many molds as Sgt. Pepper did.

FB - thanks, I'll start searching.

Mir - Hmmmm - I liked what I heard on YouTube so far, I'll look some more.

MitMoi - I LIKE Coltrane. I'll check the others out. tanks.

Tink said...

Re: Your comment about the etsy shop...

I have no idea who caughtredhanded is or where he/she gets their art. I just found them randomly on an etsy search. You could try contacting them though. *Shrug*

Tink said...

As for music, I like:

Kenna
Spoon
Lily Allen
Yael Naim
Yaov

Mother of Invention said...

Sorry I am no help...I'm in the ark as well...alongwith Chuck Mangione! And I'm a cannuck to boot so I know mostly our stuff.
Love good ole KD Lang who has just got a new one,Eva Cassidy is fabulous, Susie Tedseshki...and Cdn Rufas Wainright.

Bob said...

tink - thanks, I can safely say that these will be new territory for me.

MoI - but you have been helpful - I have heard a good bit about Rufus Wainright and I have some K.D. Lang already.

Susanne said...

From what you posted about your CD-collection I'd say you're already listening to a wider variety of music than I do. My favorites at the moment are: Tori Amos, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Mayer. Also on the jazzy side Bobby McFerrin and Rhiannon.

We still have a couple of LPs but the turntable lives in the garage...

amusing said...

I will second susan tedeschi.

I like how Madeleine Peyroux sounds like she recorded in the 1930s...

That's Feist in the Apple commercials (Liv knew about her before then..)

Detroit Cobras are fun with the sunroof open

amusing said...

Oh, and Vampire Weekend is fun. They opened for the Shins, and they are on Conan or SNL or something this week..... I heard a description of them that was something like "Soweto on the Upper West Side."

Anonymous said...

rilo kiley, goldfrapp, feist, cat power, kooks, of montreal, the bird and the bee, arcade fire

Mignon said...

ray lamontagne, john prine, soundtrack to Into the Wild, greg brown (further in is my favorite album), canned heat, alison krauss/robert plant duets album, old crow medicine show...