Monday, August 25, 2008

college days

I meant to write this last Friday as it was prompted by the most recent Poetry Friday challenge. But - I wouldn't want to start a trend by blogging on schedule, or anything. I might garner a few regular readers if I did something like that - which is anathema to my blogstyle of whatever-whenever.

anyway.

I, like most folks, have done a few things that I probably shouldn't have when I was in college.

My dorm was right across the street from the chapel. Every Sunday morning for about an hour before services the pastor would sit on the front steps of the chapel and play hymns over the loudspeakers. This somewhat annoyed those trying to sleep off a Saturday night's debauchery, myself sometimes included. Well, one Saturday night we returned to our dorms somewhat worse for wear and someone brought up the hymn-playing disruption of our Sunday-morning sleep-in. During the following discussion a plan was formed that, in our inebriated state, we thought would put a stop to these recitals. We sneaked into the church via an unlocked window and pulled the cassette tape that was queued in the public address system. We took it back to the dorm and recorded some rather earthy Frank Zappa over the middle of the tape and returned the tape to the church. Alarms were set so we wouldn't miss the new music and we went to bed. The next morning we straggled out and gathered on the front steps of the dorm and waited. And waited. And waited. We sat there until services started and the music was stopped. No Frank Zappa. We retired to bed disappointed and seeking hang-over remedies.

Three weeks later I was walking to work Sunday morning, having lost the weekend work shift lottery. I was passing the front of the chapel, having just waved to the pastor, when the music hiccuped and Frank Zappa came blaring out in all his inappropriate glory. The pastor look confused, and he must have started to understand what he was hearing because he leapt up and ran inside. A second or two later the music stopped. I almost tripped over myself laughing as I continued to work.

We didn't manage to shut down our Sunday morning concerts, the hymns continued next Sunday on schedule. But I'll bet the windows were locked after that.

12 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

meno said...

Frank Zappa! I am so proud of you. A very clever idea that gets the point across without any harm being done.

ms chica said...

I would have opted for the devil went down to Georgia.

Lynnea said...

how could you pick on a poor, defenseless, uuber righteous preacher like that? (did you detect any sarcasm in my tone?)

Bob said...

meno - he seemed like a natural for this, after all - there's a wealth of material to choose from.

ms. chica - none of us were Charlie Daniels fans, but it certainly would've been apropos.

maggie - it hadn't been but a few years previous that the college ended mandatory chapel attendance.

ms chica said...

I'n not a Charlie Daniels fan either, but irony keeps me from spontaneously combusting.

Bob said...

ms chica - you must be related to my wife.

Mother of Invention said...

That's too funny! Maybe he secretly liked Frank! We did lots of dumb stuff too in residences that got the campus cops and housekeeping after us...like smearing corn syrup all over the door knobs and taps in the guys' res. Man, we got chased at high speeds over that one!

Bob said...

MoI - We did a lot of stupid stuff too, most of which we got away with and shouldn't have!

Jocelyn said...

You prankster! This tickles me.

Glamourpuss said...

I used to listen to a lot of Zappa in my university days - must dig it out again. Great prank.

Puss

Kat said...

Ha, that was an awesome prank!

Bob said...

Jocelyn - we got a laugh out of it too.

puss - zappa was a unique musician in many ways.

kat - thanks.