Thursday, February 22, 2007

Detritus

I have no theme, but feel an urge to post, so here's a few things going on right now.

Our son Zack had two things he really wanted to do once he got his job. One of which was to get high-speed internet. We have had dial-up since we first got internet access, and for one reason or another it never gets any faster than 33Kb (the fastest any modem can transmit data is 56KB). With today's complex web pages this means s.......l......o.......w loading screens. Last week he came to me (again) and said that if we would order broadband he would pay for it. I had been resisting due to the sizable increase in our cable bill. But, if he were going to pay for it........I ordered it. I also got a wireless router. This means the kids can use their laptops from anywhere in the house, not just in the living room - with a phone cord stretched across the floor ready to trip the unwary (or naturally clumsy). Zack is happy now and I'm diggin' on it too. Laura is happy too because she can now do her research into what to do and see on her trip in May. Only one thing left to decide - since I've also wanted it and am liking it I now have to decide how much (if any) to make Zack pay. Sure is tempting......

Apropos of new internet connectivity, we have a tom cat that must have sensed it coming because the day I ordered it he sprayed the keyboard - rather thoroughly. I had to spend 3 hours taking it completely apart, cleaning the hundreds of parts and putting it back together without losing any of them. After that demanding task, I didn't feel up to configuring and installing the cable modem. I now have a gleamingly clean keyboard and a new cat-pelt rug.

Laura and I went to see Chick Corea and Bela Fleck last night. WHAT A GREAT CONCERT. I've been a fan of Bela Fleck's for some years. His talent is amazing. I haven't listened to a lot of Chick Corea, I think I will now. This was only their second performance as a duo. Listening to them you'd think they'd been together for years. The way they played off of each other, the entire performance seemed like improv. Ever since I learned to play an instrument I have come to really appreciate the skill it takes. Listening to a symphony or a band I am always aware of the virtuosity of the musicians. But there is a special talent that jazz players have, their ability to improvise, to hear a melody and then to instantaneously compose and play a variation on it, take it further....it amazes me. Last night was 2 hours of give and take, melodies handed back and forth, it was a performance I'll long remember. I would love to hear them again at the end of the tour, when they've played together for a while.

Tuesday was my daughter's birthday - she turned 20. We called and wished her a happy birthday, but had to postpone the celebration until this weekend when she will be home. Her birthday wasn't a total bust, some of her friends took her to dinner. There will be presents, cake & ice cream at our house Saturday night. Woot.

20 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the daughter. What kind of cake? What sort of presents? Everything is interesting to the Internets.

Go halfers on the increase in the bill. Since he was willing to pay for it ALL, I wouldn't have him pay nothing.

Would a cat-pelt laptop mat cut down on static electricity? I might be interested....

jaded said...

Peeing on the keyboard crosses a line that the bulls in Pamplona never really considered eh? I don't have a high tolerance for rude house pets either. Maybe that pelt could do double duty as a lovely tea cozy?

Mother of Invention said...

Or maybe you could use the cat pelt for a mouse pad! Oh, the irony! Well, he did have at least a neuter job begging to be done FTER DOING THAT!

Yes, I think you should split the bill with your son, too.

Chick Corea!?? Man, he's been around awhile! I'd go see him.
I used to love Chuck Mangione! Went to see him a long time ago. He was neat to watch bounce around!

Bob said...

De - cake & Ice cream - I'll have to ask daughter what she wants and get back to you. Presents - stuff for her Christmas camera - an accessory kit (includes case/battery recharger) and a memory card (1 gig, probably) and one or two other knick-knacks that Laura has stowed away and not shown me yet.

I was leaning towards half too. He's learning that merely having a paycheck doesn't instantly enable you to buy everything your heart desires. BUDGETING 101 is currently being taught.

I would think that a cat-pelt laptop mat would actually INCREASE static electricity.

Patches - bulls peeing on keyboards would soon be steers in my house. I need a new trackball.... cat-pelt=tea-cozy. good idea.

MoI - I am searching the house for a strong-enough rubber band for said neutering....

I played a fluglehorn in jazz band because of Chuck Mangioni. I still have (somewhere) a few vinyl albums of his.

Lee said...

Dude, I'm Asian...I woulda had cat stir-fry.

meno said...

Giggling over the cat pelt rug. I often threaten to make mittens out of my boys.

I think splitting the bill w. your son sounds like the right thing to do.

Happy Birthday to daughter.

OhTheJoys said...

I bet Fleck was great!

Bob said...

Lee – sliced or julienne?

Meno – The rug looks good on the wall. I broke the news to Zack tonight. I think he was relieved I didn’t ask for it all. Thanks, I will pass on your (and everyone else’s) birthday wishes to Kris.

OtJ – He was AWESOME. Damn. I promised myself I wouldn’t say that.

TopChamp said...

I am also amazed by jazzers improvisation skills. I have a friend who is getting really into it at the moment after years of being scared of it... think it is addictive once you first have a go!

Happy (belatedly)birthday to your daughter!

Bob said...

topchamp - I played in a high-school jazz band. No improv for us. I wouldn't have been able to. It requires an intuitive knowledge of music and - talent. I imagine there's a freedom to it. And the sense of creation - new and unrepeatable riffs - it's an art form.

Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter. I will pass them along.

urban-urchin said...

Happy belated birthday to your girl!

Bob said...

Urban Urchin -

Thanks! I will tell her for you.

Mother of Invention said...

Happy Belated B-Day to your daughter! Sounds like she sure has a wonderful loving home and parents!

I have 3 of Chuck's albums in my attic! "Land of Make Believe", "Main Squeeze", and "Together. He had a fabulous singer, Esther Satterfield, who sang, "Look to the Children" on one of them. I just loved her!
Dig'em out and have a listen!

Bob said...

MoI - Thanks, I will pass it on. You are sweet to say so.

Unfortunately, my current receiver doesn't have a phono input. I still have a turntable, I'm not sure if it still works. I have been thinking lately about doing something so I can listen to the stacks of vinyl I have stored away.

thailandchani said...

What kind of cat? :)

I would definitely split the bill with your son. That will make him happy because it's not goign to be as much as he anticipated but still let him know that you expect him to keep his agreements.

But ain't high speed great? :) We've only had it here since May. I can't imagine ever using dial-up again.


Peace,

~Chani

Bob said...

Chani - it's related to a manx. 'cause of the missing pelt.

We are going to split the bill, he has sighed relief and is being extra nice right now.

high-speed rocks. but now, I can see where my aged computer is slow and now I want to upgrade to high-speed modernism.

Girlplustwo said...

ALL of it sounds great.

Bela Fleck. Yum. and birthdays...and dial up? Bob!

Bob said...

Jen - Bela Fleck, yum indeed. Dial-up - I've been in IT for 16 years and didn't get my own PC until 2000 (the one I still use at home)- with dial-up. After sitting in front of one all day at work, I didn't feel much like doing it at home, especially at dial-up speeds. Now that I'm blogging, I decided to get a decent internet connection. One day I might buy a new computer.

Domestic Zen said...

going half was a great idea - my parents made me pay half of many "wants" as a teen and as an adult I really appreciate and respect them for it -

I was looking for the betting pool on how long until you get a new computer now ;) with that new high speed it will be hard not to . . .

Bob said...

domesticzen - my parents would do the same thing for me, too.

I should start a new-computer pool. My dad just got a new one and I am thinking of offering to buy his old one (which is miles newer than my ancient bit-cruncher.)

Thanks for coming by.