Wednesday, January 10, 2007

drawing a null......

as it is almost a week's silence here, and nature (and bob) abhors a vacuum, and I can't think of anything noteworthy, I'm stealing a meme for blogfodder from MOI.

A) Four jobs I have had:

1. short order/pizza/dining hall cook
2. library assistant
3. cryptologic linguist
4. driver-helper for UPS

B ) Four movies I could watch over and over:

1) Mon Oncle
2) Blazing Saddles
3) McLintock
4) Wallace & Grommit - A Close Shave

C) Four places I have lived other than where you live now:

1. Biloxi, Mississippi
2. Gournes, Crete, Greece
3. Hilton, Georgia
4. Austin, Texas

D) Four T.V. Shows I like/liked to watch:

1. My Name is Earl
2. CSI
3. M*A*S*H
4. The Last of the Summer Wine

E) Four places I have been on vacation:

1.Perdido Key, Florida
2. Niagara Falls, NY (& Canada)
3. Santorini, Greece
4. San Francisco, California

F) Four Web sites I visit daily:

1. Daily Oliver
2. Joe Mathlete explains Marmaduke
3. Woot one day, one deal
4. The Onion

G) Four of my favorite foods:

1. Prime Rib
2. Barbecue from Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City
3. my wife's pot roast
4. everything on the table at our family reunions

H) Four places I would rather be right now:

1. on the beach
2. on a train crossing the northern rockies
3. in the meditation room in the B&B just up from the corner of Haight & Ashbury
4. helping my best friend in his furniture shop

13 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Well, Bob, based on this information, the likelihood that you and I would ever meet is...0.478%

meno said...

Hey, i hate the vacuum cleaner too!

I always stop at MASH reruns too, even though i have seen them all many times.

Mother of Invention said...

Thanks for this. I'm with ya on the prime rib! I had forgotten that I loved MASH!
Must have been neat living in Greece. There's a post idea! Tell us about it.

thailandchani said...

I know some people don't like these question/answer things but I actually do like them. :)

Totally with you on CSI. I watch CSI NY, CSI Las Vegas, CSI Amityville Horror... if it's CSI, I watch it!

And please do tell us about Greece.. unless, of course, it is TS/SCI :)


Peace,

~Chani

Moogie said...

Oooohoooo...I loves me some CSI...I could actually agree with quite a few things on your list. I've lived in a lot of different places though. I never lived in San Francisco but I really loved to visit there!

I'm so glad you posted. I was getting ready to send out the National Guard.

Bob said...

De - Oh no! That sound's so final. Give me another chance!

Meno - so do the cats. I like Alan Alda (and his dad too!). He's the host of Scientific American on PBS, another show I like to watch.

MOI - prime rib rocks. We lived in Greece for two years, so lots to talk about. I'll have to work on it, maybe a series of posts.

Chani - I have yet to see the other CSI's, I will have to give them a try.

moogie - Living in Monterey put San Francisco just close enough for weekend visits. Which we did several times. I could easily live there provided I came into a small fortune!

urban-urchin said...

I love My Name is Earl, and we have Prime Rib every Christmas. I never got into the CSI thing though... And since you asked the dishwasher is no longer leaking- B fixed it thank God.

Girlplustwo said...

bob,
i loved this. i love the tiny glimpses that teach me a bit more.

An Idiot said...

For some reason i can't quite see LOTSW sitting comfortably alongside CSI and M*A*S*H. A combination of all three would definitely be a ratings smash tho:

cleggy and compo investigate the brutal murder of nora batty by analysing tell-tale wrinkle marks in her tights - whilst foggy is pinned down by sniper fire as he attempts to save the life of a young GI who's been attacked by a small yorkshire terrier.

emmys all round. guaranteed.

Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob said...

Urban Urchin: They must film Earl somewhere near here. I swear I know some of those people! I'm glad you've got your dishwasher back, ours is kaput, I think.

Jen: you are sweet to say so, but if I keep this up how can we preserve the mystery in our relationship?

Chris: Another LOTSW fanatic! It's a hoot. I didn't know it was such a long-lived series. The ones being broadcast now are older, pre-Foggy.

I think you should write-up your idea and send it to the BBC. block-buster potential here.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you come back soon.

Antonia Cornwell said...

Bob, your old job - cryptologic linguist (I had to really think about typing that) - sounds extremely big and clever and fascinating. What did it involve?

Bob said...

Antonia: The short answer: Performs and supervises recording, transcribing, translating, analyzing, and reporting of assigned voice communications. This is how the Air Force describes it. Here's a link to a more detailed description (Air Force again): http://tinyurl.com/ydg73c

As you see at the bottom of the page linked above the job requires a top secret clearance, sensitive compartmented information. So - there isn't much I can tell you about my job except - it required me to go to school for a year to learn arabic, and 3 months of follow-on tech training before going to my first base, with 3 more months of on-site mission-specific training before I actually did the job I trained for.