Thursday, December 21, 2006

Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap, Crap

My wife asked me to take her favorite cat Stripes to the vet this morning 'cause he doesn't want to eat. He's been losing weight recently and been sneezing more than normal. The vet just called and said that blood tests indicate his kidneys aren't working - which is why he isn't eating. He suggested a certain treatment, but didn't sound optimistic about it working.

Stripes is 10-12 years old. (maybe a little more). For a good while he was an unapproachable tom. He ruled the roost for a while and we still have several of his offspring. Several years ago he got an injury and my wife had to win him over so she could treat him. Ever since he's been her baby. He is completely domesticated - he comes to her when she calls him.

I don't know what I'm going to do if he dies. Laura just lost her mother. She doesn't want to celebrate Christmas - we don't have a tree up and haven't bought gifts yet. On top of that she's got the never-ending crud. This will devistate her.

I haven't called her yet, I am dreading it.

update: I called to check on Stripes a few minutes ago, but the vet was in surgery. He did send a brief message: he will do bloodwork tomorrow morning to check the indicators for kidney function. I am waiting to tell Laura when I get home. Thanks for your support. Keep your fingers crossed.

6 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Girlplustwo said...

oh...man.

i am so sorry. i really am. what an awful position to be in, what bad timing, and poor kitty.

take care.

meno said...

Oh, i am so sorry for your wife and her kitty. We do love our animals and hurt when they do.

Take care of them as best you can.

Mir said...

I'm sorry, Bob. :( Hopefully the treatment will help.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this is bad. I'm sorry. If the treatment won't hurt Stripes, there's always a chance it could help. It might be good to let the vet know where your wife is coming from in trying to make the decision about what to do. He might be able to give you more information.

Mother of Invention said...

My heart goes out to you..I love all the cats we've had and I still tear up over thinking of when they each died. It doesn't sound like there's a lot they can do but I'd make sure you both got to say good-bye to Stripes the best way posssible if it comes to that.

urban-urchin said...

Oh Bob that's awful I am so sorry. I hope that the treatment will help Stripes.