Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday Miscellany

I finished testing a system change at 4:30 today and didn't really want to start something else, especially as it would take longer than the half hour I had left in my day. I've been wanting to do a music post of some sort, but I can't do the kind I want because blogger doesn't offer any space to store music files. Anyway, I've got a drawer full of CDs at work and a handful stacked on my computer. They've accumulated over time as I take in one I particularly want to listen to that day. So, I thought I'd build a list of what music I have at work and I could post it here.

I was going to post it here. I have 90 CDs at work. I didn't realize it was that many. So - I'm not going to type all of that here, but I thought I'd list some of them - a cross section of what I have.

The Corrs, Forgiven Not Forgotten.
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Left of Cool
K.D. Lang, Ingenue
Major Glen Miller and the Army Air Force Band, 1943-1944
The Cure, Mixed Up
Blink 182, Take Off Your Pants And Jacket
Pink Floyd, Animals
Bonnie Raitt, Nick of Time
Paul Simon, The Rhythm Of The Saints
Tracy Chapman, New Beginning
Everclear, Songs From An American Movie Vol. One, Learning How To Smile
REO Speedwagon, The Hits
Barry White, All-Time Greatest Hits
Liz Story, My Foolish Heart
Eric Clapton, Unplugged
Jeff Lynne, Armchair Theatre
Depeche Mode, Violator
The B52's, Time Capsule
Ravi Shankar, Bridges
Coldplay, A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Aaron Copeland, Copeland the Populist (Rodeo, Billy The Kid, The Appalachian Spring)
Dave Grusin, Homage To Duke
The Mills Brothers, mix cd
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Deja Vu
Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
Duran Duran, The Wedding Album
Chick Corea, Solo Improvisations From Japan
Scott Joplin, Collection
Henry Mancini, Silver Streak
Barenaked Ladies, Stunt


I guess 30 is enough for going on with here. A third of the collection. See anything you like? Not much new (I could have listed Corinne Bailey Rae - I guess I just did, K.T. Tunstall too - both given me by my daughter, probably in a futile attempt to update my musical tastes.) Kinda mixed, but I wanted to try show a cross section. Maybe you can tell me if one stirs a particular memory?

I hope you all have a good weekend.

17 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Liv said...

Well, you've successfully gotten me to realize that for some reason I never uploaded that Coldplay CD into my iTunes. Oh, but REO Speedwagon. I used to listen to "Can't Fight This Feeling" or whatever the hell the song is called over and over and think that's what I think love is like. I was a kid. I don't know what the hell love is anymore.

Bob said...

Can't Fight This Feeling is practically a teen anthem - from way back. hokey as it sounds, sometimes that is what love is like - discovering that the friendship you have with someone have grown into love. One day you'll remember.

Stucco said...

I find it interesting that, despite the metric tons of music I have ripped and downloaded, I don't have any of those. Not one. Clearly I have more musical exploring to do.

Lee said...

Damn, 90 cds at work? Still in cases? That's a lot of storage space! I tend to listen to Sirius online at work.

I grew up in Champaign IL, where REO came from. I was in highschool during theire heyday. Can't tell you how many school dances with hands shoved in our partners back jean pockets during those slow songs....

meno said...

I am familiar with all of these, but only own a few. The Mister has several thousand CDs, and i can't keep them all straight.

My oldest brother introduced me to CSN&Y many years ago. That and Tommy by The Who. I thought Tommy was sooooo deep. I can still recite many of the lyrics, much to the amusement of my daughter.

Bob said...

Stucco - I listen to so much music, and own (relatively) so little. There is soooo much I want, I've been afraid to subscribe to itunes - I'd spend my paycheck every month....

Lee - can you listen to sirius online w/o subscribing? I listen to Pandora occasionally.

I have deep drawers! (all but the 15 on my computer fit in one drawer).

oh, yeah - hands in back pockets = publicly acceptible feel-up. REO was good for power ballads, but Journey was. the. best.

Meno - I used to impress my daugher by singing to all of the songs on the radio. How did I know all that? (especially when I can't remember her friends' names!)

Girlplustwo said...

well done on the musically cool factor there, Bob. The Cure. Nice.

thailandchani said...

"Ingenue" is one of my all-time favorites. I've always liked KD Lang.


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

amusing said...

OMG -- REO Speedwagon? Talk about a blast from the past. Senior year? of college we started going to the local roller rink (yes, you heard me right, sneakers on your feet with four wheels with bearings beneath). REO Speedwagon was ALWAYS on. And the townies would try to get us drunk on White Russians or whatever those sweet drinks are that young men think girls will like and drink a lot of (when really, they are just too damn sweet to want more than one! Foiled again!)

jaded said...

Nice cross section indeed. Only six on your list that I don't know. Shouldn't you keep Barry white at home? You know for the Missus.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, iTunes has a feature that will allow you to stream in audio from internet radio stations, and there are lots of genre's to choose from, as well as a variety of bit rates. Even a 128 bit rate doesn't eat up as much band width as you would think.

Bob said...

jen - I thought maybe I'd blown it with duran duran.

chani - oooh, I love that CD too. She certainly has a way with a ballad.

amusing - boy, that REO Speedwagon CD has drawn more comments so far. yeah, we heard a lot of it when I was in high school.

and at that time, we used grape kool-aid as the girls couldn't taste the gin in it.

patches - I can't load itunes at work or I'd try it out. At home, I'm just starting to set it up.

If I tried to set the mood with Barry White, my wife would laugh.

Lee said...

I think you have to subscribe to Sirius to listen. Pandora's fun too!

urban-urchin said...

my babysitter has Can't Fight This Feeling as her ringtone. She's so funny like that. She's the only person I know that buys the K-tel albums for the Air Supply and Reo Speedwagon. She's only 26.

I love Aaron Copeland. The Cure, Depeche Mode and some others remind me of my 12 year old self, now if only you'd thrown in Siouxsie and the Banshee's, Echo and The Bunnymen, The Jesus and Mary Chain and The Smith's you'd have my adolescent soundtrack down

Bob said...

u-u - what is it with REO Speedwagon? I mean, I listened to them and liked them back then - but they aren't a band I still listen to a lot (despite having this greatest hits album). I particularly like the analogy to schmuzy k-tel albums too.

but most of all I find it particularly embarrassing that a large portion of the music I still prefer to listen to is a part of your "adolescent sound track". it's as if I were caught out listening to Barney songs for the enjoyment of it.

Mother of Invention said...

I love kdd lang, Clapton, Crosby, Stills.., Mills Bros,and Bonnie best of all from this list.

Susanne said...

Now you made me want to buy the
chick Corea solo improvisations. I like how diverse your list is Scott Joplin and blink 182 on the same list.

Though I recognize almost all of the names there's not one album on your list that I own.

But I love Paul Simon's "rhythm of the saints". I never bought this because my husband has it. I used to go into the "media room" at the institute of music education and listen to it every week.

Bob said...

MoI - mine too!

Suzanne - I like a lot of different music, always have. Paul Simon has done a good bit of experimenting, and I too love Rhythm of the Saints.