Saturday, October 27, 2007

adios, au-revoir, aufwiedersehen

I leave for Bahrain Sunday night. I have a 14 hour flight to Dubai, a 4 hour layover, and just over an hour later I arrive in Manama. Quite tired, I'm sure - which will be good as it'll be almost midnight local.

Things have been a tad busy this week. After 10 months of software development, my trip to Bahrain was finally approved - last Tuesday. I had plane tickets on Wednesday. Good thing I have a valid passport. The trip is scheduled for 3 weeks, I'll be getting home Nov. 20th. At least that's the current plan. I have 3 weeks to completely convert the data from their systems into mine, train the staff in two plants and the front office and support them after going live. I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up staying longer.

While I'm sure I'll be working long hours, especially at first, I hope to find time to explore. I'm quite looking forward to it. I haven't been able to find out much in the way of local landmarks, I'm hoping local plant management can help with that. At any rate, I'll be able to drink some european beer again. It's been 20 years since I've had a real Amstel.

I will be staying in some apartments the company rents for visitors. I think I'm expected to cook my own supper. All that way to eat ramen. But I won't have to clean up after myself, I've been told there's maid service. I sure as hell don't get that here.

We've spent all day getting ready. Did some last minute shopping. Spent the rest of the day doing laundry. And mowing the lawn. And changing the oil in Laura's car. And playing with the dog. All necessary pre-trip activities. And the most important is sitting on the kitchen counter with two glasses and a corkscrew beside it. Better get to it, can't go unprepared.

10 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Girlplustwo said...

have a fantastic time. we'll expect updates. i, for one want to know how it smells, what the market is like, what the taxi driver said.

meno said...

How great that you did the most important thing to prepare; spend some quiet time with your wife.

Safe travels friend.

jaded said...

i thought the dog got played with after the bottle was uncorked. Have a safe trip.

Susanne said...

Have a nice trip. I hope you get to see something, that it's not only work.

(And do you plan to do NaBloPoMo anyway?)

Anonymous said...

Ack - you're gone already! Well, Safe travels & exciting explorations. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Lee said...

Oh I've missed you! I'm hoping pictures!

Rachel said...

How exciting!

Sorry I missed the farewell festivities, but it seems you had everything under control!

looking forward to your safe return!

Mother of Invention said...

Have a great and successful trip.
Seemed to happen fast at the end even though you've been talking about it for awhile.

Liv said...

I'm so sorry I missed giving you a proper send off. :( Here's hoping you're there (I see that you are) and safe and well.

amusing said...

Oh, Meno is writing about pants tossed on the floor. You're here teasing with pre-nookie wine.

Bah. Humbug. You happy marrieds you. WHile the rest of us muddle along wondering whether to give the guy who's been trying to get a date for three years a chance....

Harumph.