Friday, April 04, 2008

Q&A, part 2

I will start with the 2nd of Maggie's questions: My best life advice?

That is a difficult question to answer as it is rarely asked of me. get the best education you can afford. be curious. take the time to know, and most importantly like yourself. be as honest as you can be. travel as often as you can afford, and find a way to visit another country. read as much as you can, make time for it. look for the best in people. remember your manners especially in the face of rudeness.


De asked: If I could do anything (notwithstanding age, education, etc.) as a second career, what would it be and why does that interest me?

I would be a pilot. Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to learn how to fly. I'm not sure I can express why I want this. I've wanted to so long I don't know the reasons why. I've had a fascination with flight forever. In my mind, it is associated with going places, exploration, freedom even.

she also asked: How do I like the new music I picked up a while back?

I'm still getting to know these new albums and so far I like them all - I like to play new music several times and kinda let my feelings about it come from inside - kind of a gestalt. It's too soon to tell.

De finished with: Can I dance?

HA! I used to try when I was a young man. Now days I am obligated to once a year - at my wife's company Christmas party. I can do what my daughter refers to as the "daddy dance" which is merely designed to embarrass her. I sometimes wish I could do the typical ballroom dances - waltz, fox trot, etc. And when I'm feeling my oats - swing.


Puss asks: What's greens & cornbread?

greens are one of 3 leafs that are cooked in a way particular to the American south. There are collard greens, turnip greens, and mustard greens in order of popularity. They are typically stewed with a piece of smoked pork - a knuckle is most common where I was growing up. They are most commonly served with cornbread (of which there are MANY varieties) and pepper sauce.

She goes on to ask: Am I feeling any less depressed?

nope.

Puss ends with: Where do I stand on the naked body - show it off, or hide it away?

on a personal level, do what you are comfortable with. I think that if enough people were comfortable in their own skin we could solve a host of societal ills. Over here, unfortunately, nudity is equated with sex - so if you are showing skin you must be looking to knock boots. At a more abstract level, I think that there is beauty in the human body. And by that I do not mean solely a 6 foot tall, 16 year old waif with breast implants and a bolemic-ally small waist. Male or female, large or small, short or tall - there is something fascinating about the human form. When we are naked we are at our most vulnerable - and therefore most honest state. there's nothing left to hide, from ourselves or from everyone else.


Pat asks: a lot! He/She seems to be fascinated with procrastination and wants to know a lot about how I feel about various aspects of it.

I think that in some ways depression defines procrastination in it's extreme. At my worst, I have stayed in bed for days doing nothing but sleeping. That is the utmost in procrastination. I cannot compare the ways in which I procrastinate with the way other people do - I don't know but one or two people well enough to know how they procrastinate and therefore have no basis for comparison. I tend to procrastinate when making life-changing decisions - I, like many people, have a certain fear of change, of the unknown. I hate that I do this and am not proud of it. I don't know how to over come it.

10 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Glamourpuss said...

1. I shall make sure not to ever order that then.
2. Sorry to hear that.
3. I agree with you. But when I'm naked, I often feel less vulnerable - more empowered. But maybe that's just me. There's something very liberating about standing in your skin. Of course, it helps to have great tits.

Puss

Bob said...

Puss - 1) too bad, you don't know what you're missing! 2) thanks. 3) That tells me that you are proud of your body. Considering the hard work you put in, you have reason to be. tits notwithstanding.

Anonymous said...

I hope you learn to fly Bob! It's never too late!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of great advice.

I'm surprised you can't dance. It seems like the sort of thing you'd be able to do. Me, I have no sense of rhythm (which goes nicely with being tone deaf), so it's pretty hopeless.

My sister chides herself for her procrastination, which affects her professional life as well as her personal life. I never considered myself a procrastinator until recently, but I have to admit, I haven't been making much progress with any of the projects that need to be done around the house. It's overwhelming and I don't have a clear starting point.

Bob said...

franki - I sure hope so.

de - thanks. I can sort-of waltz, and have been totally left behind with the current stuff. I used to club in my youth, but no more.

Lynnea said...

love the advice. like yourself. that's excellent and the most difficult.

i am a procrastinator of sorts. it's how i fell i love with lists. when i stop making my lists i know i'm avoiding something.

Jocelyn said...

You could turn your entire blog into this format--I find your answers fascinating.

Especially when they involve stewed pork.

Bob said...

maggie - if liking yourself was easy there wouldn't be a need for psychiatry!

Jocelyn - don't forget roasted pork, bbq pork, braised pork, fried pork.....

urban-urchin said...

my husband loves greens. me? not so much.... What did the Dr. say about your MRI?

Bob said...

uu - your husband has good taste!

I see the dr. on Monday to find out.