Monday, December 24, 2007

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

We made it to Kansas City yesterday and were welcomed by a snow storm. It alternated between those big, fluffy, wet flakes and hard little ice particles that sting like hell when they're driven into your ear by 20 MPH winds when you're trying to scrape the ice off of your rental car having just emerged from a warm airplane bringing you from 65 degree southern clime.

Oh, and to top it off 3 of our bags were lost by the airline. Two (both my son's) were found, flown in and delivered this afternoon. Mine was found this evening and, according to the lost luggage website, is to be delivered sometime between 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM. Uh huh.

Laura's winter coat was packed in my suitcase. As was all of my stuff, including my meds. Luckily I have been using wally-world's $4.00 prescriptions and they will fill it wherever you are, so I called it in and picked it up this morning. Tonight is our 23rd wedding anniversary. For a while our dinner choices were limited to Wendy's 'cause all I had to wear were the khakis and golf shirt I wore on the flight here. But - I remembered that I get lost baggage insurance anytime I buy a plane ticket using my am-ex so I get $200 per passenger for any luggage delays over 6 hours. So - I went shopping for an outfit (inside and out) and we went to a Japanese steak house and ate way too much.

Tomorrow is the big get-together here with all of Laura's family. A HUGE dinner is planned, gifts are exchanged and mayhem ensues. It should be a blast.

I wish for you all a Merry Christmas. I'll try to send a little snow your way.

13 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Liv said...

darlin', i don't think we're gwine see any snow, but it is cold, wet and grey....

i'm glad you're with Laura, the fam and mostly, stateside. you deserve the biggest, bestest christmas ever.

from your friend,

liv who deep down knows you're nice

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the hassles, but it sounds like you're rolling with it.

We've got an anniversary right AFTER Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

Bob said...

liv - sorry to hear about the soggy mess, but I'm sure you'll rise above and have a great holiday. enjoy, friend.

De - we're doing just fine. Happy anniversary and happy holidays to you too.

meno said...

Happy anniversary. i am SO glad that you managed something nicer than Wendys.

The Atavist said...

Merry Christmas, but forget sending us snow.. We got 6 inches or so Christmas Eve. Have a great time!

Bob said...

Meno - you and me both.

Sieg - so maybe you sent some this way?

Mother of Invention said...

Congrats to you both!

Yoou don't need to send us snow..we still have about 1 1/2 feet left from the last storm!

Hope you enjoyed all the dinners! This is quite the eating season...constantly grazing on everything!

Bob said...

MoI - Thank You!

are you sure you don't need anymore snow? one and a half feet of snow isn't really THAT much.

Glamourpuss said...

"I went shopping for an outfit (inside and out) "

That could qualify as an overshare...

Puss

Bob said...

danger, will robinson, danger.

I thought I was sufficiently vague to get me by the censors......

amusing said...

Hey liv! Want to know how nice Bob is?

He actually wrote, get this! "Tomorrow is the BIG get-together here with all of Laura's family.... It should be a blast." He LIKES hanging with the in-laws et al. Not a drop of angst!

See, if it were me, I'd be plotting the "misplacement" of something crucial "oops! out of eggnog! I'll just run to the store!" so I could escape. Cuz I am a bitch!

amusing said...

P.S. DId everyone get a moonrock in their stocking Xmas morning?

Bob said...

Amusing - I love my in-laws. that doesn't make me a nice guy, it makes me lucky.

I don't know about a moonrock, but there were camel-bone bracelets.....