Tuesday, November 06, 2007

day 6


I got up at 6:00 AM this morning to go walking. It hadn't been my intention to do so, but I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. With all of the restaurant eating my pants have been feeling a little tight around the waist, so I off I went. I am going to try to keep it up. I learned this morning that we live near the Syrian embassy, a hospital, a Bahraini Businesswoman's institute, a Lybian Brotherhood Society, a Cultural Exchange (but which cultures are being exchanged?), and a lot of apartment buildings like ours above. Some older, one or two newer. By six AM the day is in full swing in this neighborhood as it has been daylight for about an hour and the construction sites are all buzzing. The weather is nice now, but I imagine that with temps into the 115 - 120 degree range in mid summer I can see the benefit of getting work done in the relative cool of a 5:00 AM morning. As I walk by I get an occasional nod as I pass and a few stares. The guy cutting rebar stopped as I walked by as to not shower me with sparks. I crossed the road anyway so as not to interrupt his work overly long. I think I will start getting a better feel for this country the more I wander off on my own. That opportunity will increasingly present itself as several of the guys here are rotating back to the US for vacations this week. My time behind the wheel of a vehicle, I think, is rapidly approaching. oh boy.

Things at work are getting really stressful, I've got a buttload of things to do and no time to do them, so TTFN!

3 deeply creased, dogeared comment(s):

Liv said...

maybe you can start driving in the early, early morning so that you can get the hang of it. sounds like it's kind of nice to be exploring a place totally on your own.

urban-urchin said...

sand really is everywhere huh?

Anonymous said...

Always good to know where the hospital is, that's what I say.

I don't know how I would be on a long-term assignment - most of my business trips were one or two weeks - but after the first few dinners out, I would end up keeping to myself most of the time because I like to do what I like to do. I suppose others might have wanted to come along, most people probably appreciate someone who comes up with "a plan," but I never apply that to myself.

If you can keep up with your work as well as you have been with NBPM, you'll do fine.